Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Ottawa Update #3 - The Job Hunt Continues...

Sorry it's been a while since the last real update. Things are totally crazy with job-hunting/interviewing and going to Bluesfest (but Bluesfest will be another post later on) right now.

I have had three interviews now, four that were scheduled though. The one at Prospero Bookstore seemed to go well, and I certainly would have made a better impression than the girl who was scheduled immediately after me. My interview was interrupted because she was half an hour early and demanded that my interviewer Lisa be informed of the fact that she had arrived. The problem with even if I got that job is that there are no guaranteed hours. It is more of a fill-in position, resulting in potentially only one shift a week, depending upon the needs of the store.

I also got a call-back from The Bay for a shoe sales position... at a mall that it takes an hour to commute to from my house. And the group interview was scheduled for an hour before I was hoping to be at the opening night of Bluesfest. Already nothing was working towards making me like this position; however, I decided to talk myself into wanting it so that I would do well at the interview. Then my bus broke down on the way there, I tried to call to say that I would be late but because of the noise of buses I could not hear all the stupid maze of menu options to get to talk to a real person. I gave up and arrived a few minutes late to the shoe department (because I also hadn't entirely understood the directions I was given to the interview location) to ask where I was to go. There were two other people already there and it ended up being the slowest line in history just so I could ask a question. By the time the girl was processing the second lady, I was already fifteen minutes late. I pretty much gave up then because being that late and having been unable to call, I was not going to make a good impression and for a job that would just end up pissing me off for the ridiculous commute anyways.  

Shortly after that, Starbucks called to set up an interview for yesterday. Excellent, another shot at something half decent that's not Subway. But the same day I also had an interview set up for the next day with Stella Luna Gelato. Now, this place is cool. The lady who is opening the shop is amazing, you should read her story (which she also gave me a quick run-down of during the interview): Tammy's story. I love everything she stands for, which is genuinely personal and friendly service and healthy food. My interview was very relaxed and we went to for coffee at a small dog-friendly cafe down the street and talked about how I ended up in Ottawa (which included Donald Miller and her deciding she wanted to read this book), Russian and Dostoevsky, art, history, music and a bit about bartending and bellydancing, too. I would adore working in this place, which is still getting ready to open its doors later this month (hopefully!), because she seems to genuinely care about people, both her workers and her customers.

And due to certain events at Bluesfest, I nearly forgot about the Starbucks interview. Thankfully, I did remember and managed to get myself there over an hour early despite hours of running around southern Ottawa in the morning with Jess. I had no idea you get a free drink when you go for an interview there, that was a nice perk. The interview itself was nothing special, and my interviewer will not even be my manager if I do get the position because the store is in transition and he's leaving and someone else is coming in. Also during that interview, my phone started buzzing... because I had another call about a different job which, having looked up this job, pretty much makes you out into a door-to-door scam artist. Thankfully, my Starbucks interviewer did not notice my phone going off.

So, as of now, I still am without a job, but making progress. And hopeful about Stella Luna. I have a feeling about this place, but I won't know for sure for a little while longer. I called yesterday to check in and there has been another minor setback which has pushed back the timeline for hearing back about the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment