Thursday, April 19, 2012

New Beginnings and Mothers of Others


I was going to do a belated post about the birthday happenings of me and my Ottawa girls, but with the move it once again got pushed to the wayside. There are things more pressing on my mind at this moment.

I have arrived in Calgary and also had the requisite meltdown that accompanies moving/discovering a new place. After feeling very much like I wasn't sure I wanted to leave anymore in the days leading up to my departure, the actual leaving was surprisingly easy. Except for the night before when Jess gave me a very moving card, I didn't cry until after I'd been here for several hours and decided that I was extremely uncomfortable with everything.

It all started out fine, but even in the car on the way to the house I began to feel overwhelmed. I had a lot of information being thrown at me by both Kim and her mom, with whom I am currently living. I was extremely grateful that they picked me up at the airport, but their kindness and generosity just seemed a bit too much. I was overwhelmed with starting over to begin with, but then to have not one but two people fussing over me was just too much. It was productive only in that I had changed my phone number to a local one before I'd even seen where I would be living. Although, I feel like that is backwards and would have been fine having to fend for myself and find out where to deal with it all.



They seem to have a tendency to fuss over things and be helpful, but when all you want to do is be by yourself to process things, it is not the most helpful. The mother is especially bad about this and I have heard her talking about me when I was in my room (apparently she thought I was not home because they were both napping when I returned today) and fussing about how I am skin and bones and eating out. Well, it's not like I can cook or buy groceries with the state the kitchen is currently in. I took pictures yesterday because I thought it was so unbelievable. Thankfully, the dirty dishes have been washed and are no longer taking over every surface of the kitchen; the fridge, however, as far as I am aware still needs to be dealt with. 


With how I felt yesterday, I just wanted to go back home... to Ottawa. Jessica misses me and is now alone in the house for several days. I feel bad that I left right before this very lonely weekend for her. I did manage to regain my equillibrium and sense of purpose in being here yesterday by going for a walk and venturing back to the part of Calgary that I am familiar with: downtown. I remembered why I liked Calgary and why I thought I wanted to come here. So despite my less than ideal living situation at the moment, I am resolved to stick it out and find a job.

However, first I have had to deal with various errands of getting settled and properly oriented. By now I have changed my phone number, acquired a library card, and discovered (and applied for) that there is such a thing as a low-income bus pass here. No matter how much money I make in the coming year, I am guaranteed to only have to spend $40 per month on transit. I don't know if I've ever been so glad to be so poor.

My mom and friends, as always, have been extremely encouraging as I work through the growing pains of transitioning to a new life... yet again. But at least one thing I have learned so far is this: We were not meant to live with the mothers of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment