Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 11 - Emerald & Gold: crossing the Prairies

The skies are big out here… and mostly full of clouds today. I like that going across the Prairies you can tell what the weather is like from miles away. I’ve been trying to get some good photos, but it’s been difficult because we’re driving past so quick and the dark clouds are not serving me so well for lighting either.



 


Just a few highlights from the trip:

Shortly after leaving Calgary I saw a Canuck-flag laden car drive past the bus.

Strathmore, AB – Our first quick stop after leaving Calgary, we’ve been on the road for an hour, and two guys nearly got into a fight in the store here. If this keeps up, it’s going to be an eventful ride… and not in the good way.
Giant stop sign at the re-entry point to the highway. It amused me how big it was.
I wish I was quicker with my camera, I missed a cool shot of a shack leaning at a forty-five degree angle. 
 
Oil rig in Alberta
Medicine Hat, AB – We stopped here a short while ago and I think next time I’d really like to make a short stop there. There doesn’t appear to be a lot to do, but I would definitely like to take some photos there. There was some cool old architecture and a giant chess board, too.

Saskatchewan was not kind. The weather was terrible pretty much from the point we entered it to the time we left it in the middle of the night. It’s too bad, because I was really looking forward to seeing a prairie sunset.
 
view from my rainy window
The view after the rainstorm passed.

I have immensely enjoyed crossing Canada. I am maybe halfway through my journey, but there is something utterly beautiful about this country. Last time I crossed Canada I travelled straight through by train. I am so glad that this time I chose to stop along the way. There is so much you miss when you just watch the scenery go by. And yet, even staring out the window has been a pleasure. I’ve spent much of the past 9-10 hours happily watching the rolling hills and prairie flatlands pass me by. This has been partly so I could take photos, but mostly just to relish in the beauty that is Canada. 


terrible exposure, but the colour is what I was after
the long and winding (dirt) road... into the hills

No comments:

Post a Comment