Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 6 - Experiencing Jasper

I think the only things I don't like about Jasper are:
  1. The bus depot's odd hours
  2. The mosquitoes
  3. part of the trail on the way into Jasper
  4. How far the hostel is from town
Even that last one is tolerable. It's about an hour and a half walk, or a 15-minute drive if the shuttle is running. I spent the better part of my day walking to and from Jasper, but the walk itself was quite pleasant. The view up here is amazing. I love being surrounded by mountains and trees. It feels like Granisle, but not as achingly small (although Jasper is small), and therefore, a little bit like home for me. Being 'forced' to spend an extra day here is certainly not a punishment.

I've passed through Jasper only twice before that I remember: once with my dad when I was five and again four years ago as I took the train from Vancouver to Toronto, but that was only an extremely short stopover. This is the first time I think I've actually experienced Jasper. 


Jasper Public Library
I spent my day being a tourist, buying a couple of small souvenirs and postcards for everyone I could remember. I also visited the local museum. It’s quite small, but there is lots of information to read. Some pieces of information more interesting than others. I learned that the process of making moccasins is disgusting to me, the former police station is now the library, and nearby Lake Patricia was the site of a top secret project during World War II to build a submarine out of ice! 




Jasper the Bear, version 2.0
I also found Jasper the Bear, but he’s not how I remembered him. It’s not just that I got bigger, but he actually got smaller, too! And I’m pretty sure they changed the material he’s made out of. When I asked for directions to find Jasper, I was told the reason for his smaller stature: vandalism of the old Jasper.

I had dinner at the Dead Dog Bar & Grill (what a name!) before starting my long walk back to the hostel. Along the way I kept taking accidental detours, but found wildlife: magpies and red squirrels. With all of my detours, it took me nearly 3 hours to get back, double the time it took to get to town.


For more photos from my day in Jasper

No comments:

Post a Comment